Monday, November 17, 2008

Same Sad Story, Mid-Day Rally Erased At Close

I guess I was right to be skeptical of the rally this afternoon. After all, the mantra lately has been to rally mid-day just to sell off hard at the close, and today was no exception to the rule. While we did sell off hard at the close, we still didn't break below the October low support level on the graph. Maybe tomorrow we will break? Maybe we will rally higher? Really, I don't know which way were are going and still am reluctant to take an index position. Please take note of the support and resistance levels on the S&P. Also, the 1,000 level serves as a very important psychological level.



As far as currencies, the GBP sure showed some strength after my post today, increasing nearly 100 pips in a matter of minutes. I still think this pair is over-sold and due for a nice counter trend rally here soon. What we would need to see is strength in the equity markets for this to really be a winner. So, until we get clear direction, I would have very tight stops on this going forward.



As I've been saying for a while; the dollar will weaken eventually and all these commodities are too over-sold in the short term. Since I like to explore new ways to play the commodities and forex markets, I think that the XME is a great way to play miners and metals. I don't have a position in this right now but any weakness tomorrow will make me seriously consider taking a long position with a target around $35.



Continuing on the dollar weakness play, OIH is forming a very nice base on its Fib retracement and fan support levels. Moreover, the volume has been better than usual and the three lower shadows are forming a rough inverted head-and-shoulders pattern. Neckline confirmation would be around $100. I currently have a long position in OIH (JAN Calls) which I've had for a while. If oil keeps falling of a cliff this week, I will more than likely add to this position.

Seems like I say this all the time, but I hope everyone survived the volatility today. Just think, one day we will look back on this and think how crazy the times were. I'm actually getting bored with these 500+ daily swings. Where are the days when the Dow's range was less than 100?