Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fed Cuts Rates to 1%, Dollar Falls, Gold & Oil Rise

The following all happened after the Fed's announcement at 2:15pm. The market dropped sharply then rebounded to 200+ before selling off til 3ish. Then, the market went up nearly 400 points just to drop like a rock 5 mins before the close....if you weren't watching closely, you probably said to yourself "What the heck happened...it was just up over 400 points?" I personally believe that the sell off was strictly the result of GE's news and people panicked before the close. I think that tomorrow things will settle down a bit (although I have bought put protection just in case). Check out the 2 day graph of the DOW to see the volatility.



The dollar showed some great weakness today which helped all my FOREX positions. Remember I've been advising to short the dollar for about a week now (and I still have a very large short position). The AUD/USD has been great the last two days. I got out earlier this afternoon and am waiting to re-enter at better prices when things re-adjust for a day or two. However, the dollar is still way over-bought and has a lot of room to go from here.



Member's know that I got into a couple of stock put positions just before the big fall at the close. MMM is one stock that hit its Fib fan levels and is nearly retracement levels, thus is due for some continued short term weakness. Hopefully everyone got it at the highs when I sent out the email today about it because you would be 30% in the money right now.



Tomorrow should be interesting with GDP numbers coming out and the positioning of mutual funds during the remainder of the week. See everyone in the morning!